The Parliamentary Secretary assists the Treasurer with the development, implementation and administration of policies in the following areas:
- foreign investment in Australia, other than individual cases that are major or controversial;
- international financial institutions, including holding the position of Australia's Alternate Governor to the World Bank, Asian Development Bank and the European Bank for Reconstruction and Development;
- Census and statistics, including the Australian Bureau of Statistics;
- currency and legal tender, including the Royal Australian Mint;
- Commonwealth housing supply policy; and
- valuation services, including the Australian Valuation Office.